I couldn't post yesterday because things were just too black and I had nothing to say. A friend stopped by with soup and homemade bread and we hugged for dear life.
This morning I went to the doctor again and he added Wellbutrin and some thyroid hormone to the Celexa......to see if that would get me out of the cloud faster. I spent most of the rest of day in bed thinking of ways to end the pain. Then I got up and Googled What happens to Christians who commit suicide?...... and read many thoughts about that........ Decided it wasn't an option......or a poor option.
Then I checked e-mail. I heard from the friend who stopped in yesterday. I shared back exactly what was going on. Part of her reply was this:
"You may be real with me. I understand. Please hold on. Even if you can no longer find hope in your own heart, lean on my hope for you..........It is the pain you want to kill, not yourself. The pain has become so terrible that it feels like it is consuming you and you don't know how to survive when the pain is hurting you that badly. Others have felt that way too. I'll attach a poem that has meant a lot to me because it talks about that kind of pain, and it feels good to let the tears flow knowing that you are not alone with that kind of pain - others have felt it too. Somehow it does bring help to hear our pain put into words by someone else who has been there."
I read the poem twice and let the tears flow. They were like a cleansing stream.
Later, as I read from The Impact of God: Soundings from St John of the Cross all of a sudden it was made very clear to me why this friend was able to be such a comfort to me. This is a paraphrase of Iain Matthew, the author's words: She has the gift of empathy born of experiencing the same pain I have. The pain that molded her had also endowed her with an extraordinary capacity to enter my heart, and understand it. Her experience gave her access to me at my point of need.
This same friend also gave me the book.......the last time I was depressed.......but I never read it then. It seems like this present moment is the appointed time.
So I'm feeling deeply grateful to God tonight......for using my friend to reach into my darkness with a blazing torch. I am also feeling more settled about why this pain is necessary in my life.....so that I might be used as His instrument down the road.......when I am better........ the same way He has powerfully used my friend.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Oh Brenda! I'm so very glad you had that friend come over, a friend who is so very understanding. Through her you'll be able to feel God's love to the fullest.
I'm so very sorry that you're feeling so black. And I pray that you will soon turn around.
And yes, what you said is true. God can make good come out of these bad times. One day you'll be able to be such a friend to others who suffer. But don't you worry about that for now. Just allow yourself to bathe in the love of your friend and the love of Jesus (who also knows what great pain is).
Be good to yourself Brenda. Take it moment by moment. There will be windows in the midst of this tunnel. It's not never ending, though it may now seem like it is.
I don't know you very well, Brenda. But I love you because in you I see the person I too have been, I see the feelings I have felt. And I care and will pray for you.
Please stay in touch, okay? My email address is marja@livingroomsupport.org.
Hi Brenda,
Yesterday I bought a new book of daily reflections, and this morning I turned to today's. It is called "Embracing All of Life" so I thought I'd share a couple of paragraphs with you.
***
"'Say yes to the best, and no to the rest!' advised the retreat's motivational speaker. 'Position yourself so that wonderful opportunities help to propel you forward!' So why did I leave the presentation feeling unhappy and unmotivated? I find myself wondering how Jesus managed to fill his disciples with "joy and wonder" (Luke 24:41), while the speaker on that weekend left me feeling empty and dissatisfied.
Jesus showed his disciples--through his words and his actions-- that suffering and death are part of life, and that God promises to be with us through those hard times. Do I believe that true happiness comes from living through all experiences--and not only the 'wonderful' ones? That by embracing illness, loss, suffering, and death, I will find peace?
***
I appreciated how she was honest enough to leave those questions open-ended, and honest enough to say that the speaker's trite advice didn't help her. I think that at times when we don't feel strong enough to open our arms and embrace life, God embraces us and holds us steady. I hope you experience that today. Love - Jeannie
Thanks, dear friends. Your comments make me feel like you are tenderly caring for my wounds.....putting on healing ointment and bandaging me up so I can heal. I can't tell you how much it means to me.
Brenda,
This is my first time visiting your blog, but I will be back! In the meantime, I will pray for you because I know just what it is like....
Wendy Love
God is using you in this depression. If you hadn't put how you were feeling into words and placed it on this blog I would never have known you struggled like me. The words you sent me mean so much to me.
That thought is so good. God can and is using you (and me) even in our deepest and darkest moments.
Hang on Aunt Brenda!
Post a Comment