Sunday, February 1, 2009

Ten Steps Forward.....One Step Back.....or One Setback

I have been walking merrily along for a couple of months now with no real hardship. I seem to have a silver spoon in my mouth. Everywhere I go doors open and the right people walk through at exactly the right time. Connections are made and my path is smooth. I have joy indescribable. But this weekend was a step back......a whole bunch of steps back. I feel like I fell off a cliff! I reacted very badly to a situation involving some of my loved ones and I became very angry at what seemed to be gross injustice and negligence. I was hurt and the first mistake I made was talking it over with another family member. Next I began to stew about it and before I realized it, the Enemy had me in his clutches. I was trapped, backed into a corner and fighting mad! I knew I had reacted badly but I felt so justified. I also knew I just couldn't go to bed like this. In my memory bank I drew upon these words from Scripture: "Do not let the sun go down on your wrath" or in more modern language: "Don't go to bed angry."

So I went to bed with my laptop and Googled anger devotionals. I received just what I needed to hear.

Anger is an outward emotion. Underneath, however, are always feelings of fear, hurt, helplessness, or guilt.....or a combination of these. Since anger is a God-given emotion, it's not necessarily bad. If handled properly, it can be used for good and to create change. I was feeling better already! I had always pictured it as a negative thing. And now I was hearing that it can be a positive thing. There are several ways of managing anger. Suppression is denying you are angry and often results in depression. Open aggression is verbal or physical abuse meant to hurt the perpetrator. Passive aggression is shutting down, sulking or complaining behind another person's back. Assertiveness is the way God desires for us to handle our anger. It's a positive way of letting others know your thoughts and desires, while communicating in a respectful manner. It's Ephesians 4:15 in action. It's speaking the truth in love.

I put my laptop away and confessed my sin of verbal abuse and received my Father's forgiveness. I slept in peace and this morning He shed further light on my situation as I read from Streams in the Desert.

"This is My doing." (I Kings 12:21)

The disappointments of life are simply the hidden appointments of love.
C.A. Fox

My child, I have a message for you today. Let me whisper it in your ear so any storm clouds that may arise will shine with glory, and the rough places you may have to walk will be made smooth. It is only four words but let them sink into your inner being, and use them as a pillow to rest your weary head. "This is My doing."

Have you ever realized that whatever concerns you concerns Me too? "For whoever touches you touches the apple of [My] eye" (Zech. 2:8). "You are precious and honored in My sight" (Isaiah 43:4). Therefore it is my special delight to teach you.

I want you to learn when temptations attack you, and the enemy comes in "like a pent-up flood" (Isaiah 59:19), that "this is My doing" and that your weakness needs My strength, and your safety lies in letting Me fight for you.

Are you in difficult circumstances, surrounded by people who do not understand you, never ask your opinion, and always push you aside? "This is MY doing." I am the God of circumstances. You did not come to this place by accident -- you are exactly where I meant for you to be.

Have you not asked Me to make you humble? Then see that I have placed you in the perfect school where this lesson is taught. Your circumstances and the people around you are only being used to accomplish My will.

Today I place a cup of holy oil in your hands. Use it freely, My child. Anoint with it every new circumstance, every word that hurts you, every interruption that makes you impatient, and every weakness you have. The pain will leave as soon as you learn to see Me in all things.
Laura A. Barter Snow

I never cease to be amazed at how the devotionals and Scriptures I read daily speak to whatever is troubling me....on the specific day I need it!

And later today there was sharing of concerns and feelings and the oil of the Spirit flowed over us in forgiveness and reconciliation. Two steps forward!

No comments: