Today is my dad's 85th birthday and I am waiting in Cambridge at a hotel.....waiting for my dear sister and brother and sister-in-law to arrive so we can celebrate.....without dad. It's almost a month since he passed away and it is finally starting to sink in that he's really gone. I miss him so much...the daily phone calls, the twinkle in his eye, his winsome ways. I got to know him so much better in the last year and a half since he wasn't well and couldn't go anywhere. I sat on the edge of his bed as often as I could get to Windsor...... trying to drink in the memories of times past, asking him questions...one after the other, knowing he would soon be gone and then I wouldn't know the answers to those things that were hazy in my mind. He loved reminiscing and I captured some of his stories on a voice recorder. I brought it along for us to listen to.
There will be cake, Dad.....chocolate cake because it was your favorite....and presents....precious things you left behind for us that I plan to give to David and Susan. And one for me, too, that fell out of the book you kept your treasures in. These are the words on that page that are so precious to me:
When everything seems hopeless
And life is hard to bear
Just find a quiet corner
And say a special prayer
Ask God to give you strength
To see you through each day
For He alone can help you
He alone can pave the way
Believe in Him and trust Him
Let Him be your Guide
Miraculous things will happen
When He is by your side
Once your cross is lifted
And you find that you can cope
Be sure to thank Almighty God
For giving you new hope!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment