I must tell you this story. It has some amazing twists and turns.
I have not been one to want to travel much. My first big trip was to Disneyland with our two oldest daughters, Alison and Melody in March of 1980. The second one was a trip to Alberta to witness Alison's graduation from the University of Calgary in June of 1998. The third one was a week on the island of Culebra with our whole family in December of 2004. The last one was to China for two weeks to accompany Alison and Shawn on their trek to adopt Lia.
There is only one other place in the world that I have wanted to go to and that is Israel. I want to see where Jesus walked and experience firsthand what it is like over there. The opportunity presented itself recently in a serendipitous visit to an old friend. Rick and I were staying at friends of ours in Wellington for two weeks in November while they were away vacationing. When they returned from their trip, Lenie and I were invited to visit a mutual friend down the road for tea. At Ellie's house I met her sister and brother-in-law who mentioned that they were planning on leading a tour group to Israel in the spring. I had a hard time sitting there quietly trying to contain my excitement at the prospect of going.....with people I knew and who had led other trips. When I shared this opportunity with Rick he was not enthused at all. His fear for my safety prompted him to say there was no way I was going. I was disappointed in his reaction but trusted that God would soften his heart and change his mind. I felt very strongly that God had seen the desire of my heart and arranged the opportunity. So I went ahead and reserved two spots for us.
At Christmas time when we were gathered as a family I asked the children what they thought. Five of the six thought I should go. This seemed like more confirmation. Then I asked for my dad's opinion. He said he wouldn't put himself in that kind of danger.....considering what was going on in Israel and Palestine at the moment. Then I asked my pastor if he had any input to share with me. He very wisely told me a personal story....of how everything seemed to be falling into place for him to go somewhere but it ended up not being what the Lord wanted. Then he asked me why I wanted to go. I replied, 'Because I want to walk where Jesus walked!' Then he said that maybe a personal tour with Jesus in my glorified body would be a better option. I thought that was a great idea but I still wanted very badly to go now. There seemed to be a lot of confusion and uncertainty until the Lord stepped in and changed my heart.....in an instant.
I was Facebooking one night and found out that Michael W. Smith, my favorite musical artist was holding a concert in Hamilton.....guess when?.....right smack in the middle of the trip to Israel. All of a sudden the trip lost its luster and I jumped up and down for joy. You see, I have always loved Michael's worship music but his new album, released in the fall, was instrumental in my healing from severe depression. I had to be at that concert! And I will be, God willing.....in the front row......jumping up and down with joy!
Postscript: When Joanna, our 22 year old, was home for a visit recently she shared this with me. I had to smile. When she was in Cuba a couple of weeks ago she asked an Israeli girl who happened to be dating a Palestinian guy if a trip to the Holy land was safe." Definitely not," was her reply. I love how my Father looks after me!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Well hello Brenda, I have enjoyed visiting your blog this morning. We do serve a great and wonderful God do we not?
Blessings of Peace & all that is good.
Hi Me Maw, I just found your note! How did you ever find me? You are so far away. I look forward to reading your blog. Yes, I am in continual awe of Him!
Dear Brenda,
Susan just told me of your blog! I love it. I also love Michael W. Smith, and his most recent album was amazing. I think it must be the one you mentioned. Much more edgy than his earlier work.
I will be a "regular visitor" now that I know you are here!
Post a Comment